What Causes TMJ/TMD?
TMD is fairly common. But, it’s typically not until you feel discomfort that you suspect you have TMD. The most common causes of TMD include:
- Stress-induced clenching and grinding during sleep
- Displaced jaw joint
- Swelling within the joint
- Poor posture muscle strain
- Joint inflammation or strain
What Are the Symptoms of TMD?
TMD can affect sufferers differently. However, there are some clear signs of TMD:
- Jaw pain
- Clicking while opening and closing your mouth
- Stuck jaw while open or closed
- Clenching and grinding teeth
- Pain in cheeks and temples
How Can I Manage My TMD?
In order to diagnose TMD, our dentist will need to complete a thorough exam of your head and neck with specific attention on the jaw area. An x-ray might also be taken to rule out other potential issues. TMD is treated conservatively with simple changes in diet and habits, depending on your needs.
Don’t let TMJ/TMD affect your daily life! Rather, visit Family Dentistry of Boynton Beach and work with one of our skilled dentists to create an effective treatment plan. So, contact us today!