What Is Periodontal Disease?
Periodontal disease is an infection of your gums and the leading cause of tooth loss in adults.
There are three stages of periodontal disease, with the negative side effects and chances of tooth loss increasing at each stage:
- Advanced Periodontitis
Do I Have Periodontal Disease?
Periodontal disease is relatively painless, so you may not even know you have it. However, there are some warning signs that can signal a problem, including:
- Gums that bleed easily
- Red, swollen, tender gums
- Gums pulling away from your teeth
- Loose or separated permanent teeth
- Persistent bad breath or taste
- Any change in the way your teeth fit together when you bite
- Any change in the fit of your partial dentures, if applicable