What Are Inlays and Onlays?
Inlays and onlays are dental restorations that offer an effective solution to tooth decay, fractured cusps, failed restorations, or lost fillings. To ensure proper fit and comfort, they are fabricated in a dental lab before being fitted and bonded to the damage tooth.
An inlay restoration is when the material is bonding within the center of your tooth. Meanwhile, an onlay restoration is extremely similar to an inlay restoration except the extent of the damage requires inclusion of one or more cusps (the pointed portion of the tooth on the biting surface) on the tooth.
What Are the Benefits of Inlays and Onlays?
Both inlays and onlays have countless benefits and advantages, including:
- Natural tooth color that won’t discolor overtime.
- Superior fit that preserves as much healthy tooth as possible.
- Seals teeth to keep out bacteria.
- Extremely strong and stable.
- Makes teeth easier to clean.
- Protects the weak area of the tooth.
For more information about inlays and onlays or to schedule your consultation, contact Family Dentistry of Boynton Beach today.